Follow step by step guide on how to install kmeaw CFW and enable the use of backup managers. Before following the guide make sure to update your PS3 to the original PS3 firmware 3.55. If you haven’t already, you may download the original PS3 firmware 3.55 from here.
Step 1: Create the patched custom firmware. Follow the steps on how to make your OWN patched CFW on windows.
- Download the required files for creating CFW from here.
- Download the original PS3 firmware 3.55 from here.
- Extract the kmeaw_cfw_lv2.pkg.rar folder and copy the original PS3 3.55 CFW (PS3UPDAT.PUP) inside the your folder.
- Open command prompt of your Windows PC
- Navigate to your folder (type in cd C:UsersAdminDirectory to kmeaw_cfw_lv2 folder and press Enter)
- Once there, type in the following (whatever in italics) bspatch PS3UPDAT.PUP PS3CFW.PUP patchfile
- Let it run and do the patching, you should now see a PS3CFW.PUP folder in your folder.
- Delete the original PS3UPDAT.pup and rename PS3CFW.pup to PS3UPDAT.pup
You have now created your patched CFW and are now ready to update. Before proceeding please make sure that the MD5 should be the following (or for any you find online):
Original FW PUP md5 before patching: ca595ad9f3af8f1491d9c9b6921a8c61
Patched PUP md5 after patching: 2be5e87a22bf1e7f48e98fcabd38977b
Step 2: Copy the PS3UPDAT.PUP to your flash drive (/PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP) and then update your PS3 firmware via XMB.
You may need to update your PS3 CFW via recovery mode, if you get an error saying that you’re already at the latest update. To boot into recover mode follow steps:
- Turn off Playstation 3.
- Hold The power button down; The system will turn on and turn off once again.
- Once the System has been shutdown, re-press you finger until you hear 2 consecutive beeps
- When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off power button.
- You will be prompted to plug in your controller via usb and then hit the PS button
- The Recovery menu will pop up.
You will notice the screen on your XMB, when the CFW is installed on your PS3 console.
Step 3: After CFW is installed, get the backup managers to work. Download Kmeaw Patch and install it via PKG option in XMB. You have to run this whenever you want to run the backup manager (every restart).
Step 4: Install a backup manager – Rogero manager v7.8. Alternatively, you may also install multiMAN, Open Manager 2.1 or AVCHD Manager. Make sure you have original PS3 game inside and you must boot from XMB.
You should have backups + PSN now running on your PS3.